Sunday 8 August 2010

Sherlock: first series ends

Further to my Sherlock recommendation, the BBC three-part introductory series ended today. This episode, The Great Game, is now on BBC iPlayer, and I repeat the recommendation.

The middle episode, The Blind Banker, I thought was somewhat lame - a rather hackneyed chase-capture-fight-escape story - but The Great Game was well back on form. It pitted Holmes and Watson against a series of lethal puzzles set by a criminal mastermind (a structure reminiscent of Die Hard With a Vengeance) but got back to its Conan Doyle roots with close allusion to The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans; Holmes's classic exposition in A Study in Scarlet of how he keeps his mind free of clutter; his wall-shooting practice as mentioned at the beginning of The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual; a reference to The Five Orange Pips; and even a homage to Rondo Hatton and the Basil Rathbone film The Pearl of Death.

There's a brief review (mild spoilers) at the Guardian TV & Radio blog: Sherlock finale: your verdict on The Great Game.

- Ray

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I would rate the middle/second episode a little higher than you, but it was definitely the weakest. In every other respect, I agree − and firmly second your recommendation.

    And, unlike some commentators, I think that three episodes was about right. I'd much rather have three and finish up wishing for more than drift off part way through a first series of 24. As it is, I shall spend the in between time looking forward to a new batch some time next year − as I do with an anticipated new book by an appreciated author.

    ReplyDelete